Information for authors
How to submit a book proposal
Acumen is able to offer publishing contracts on the acceptance of an approved project outline. It is usual for each proposal to go through a process of independent peer review. It is important therefore that the proposal is sufficiently detailed for the evaluation process to prove both useful and constructive.
A book proposal should be not less than 2000 words (c.6 A4 pages) and should include the following:
- A clear statement of general aims and objectives: similar perhaps to that required for a research grant application.
- A chapter plan with at least two paragraphs on each chapter detailing subject content, argument and approach. A simple list of chapter headings is not sufficient.
- An assessment of competing books, if appropriate, and how your work differs and adds to the literature.
- A consideration of the intended readership and how your book would meet its requirements.
- An estimate of word length and delivery date for a first draft typescript for review.
- A recent CV should accompany the proposal.